"Live each day as if it held the potential for greatness"

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Differentiation: Morning meeting readings

When reading the morning meeting information packet several things appealed to me. Since first learning about morning meetings I have always had a desire to use them in my future classroom and these reading reaffirmed that desire. I especially enjoyed reading the student responses about morning meetings. It was inspiring to read about students who are so excited about a certain aspect of school. It was apparent in their responses how much value they saw in morning meetings. the students were empowered. This student empowerment is something that is very important to me. I can see how having a morning meeting fostered this student empowerment. The students in this article were able to express themselves and their views in a safe and friendly environment. They had an opportunity to find and express themselves. I want this atmosphere and growth in my future classroom that is fueled by a good morning meeting routine.

I also found the article found in the packet about eliminating back-biting and other problems to foster a good classroom community very appealing. I think what appealed to me most about this article was the teacher centered approach that was taken to address this issue. The attitude of the classroom really starts with the attitude of the teacher. We as teachers need to constantly evaluate ourselves to make sure we are the type of person we expect our students to be. I also am a big fan of lists. I can definitely see myself creating a list of negative behaviors in my classroom that I can help change. By creating a list I feel I will be able to focus on what is important and be more aware of students who are not participating in that behavior.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I'm happy to read that you are a sincere fan of morning meetings, and that you see student-empowerment as critical to your success as a teacher. 3 points for this... Did you also read the Tomlinson pages assigned?